According to Sergei Eisenstein, there are five “montages."
- Metric Montage: A scene edited to the beat of music.
- Rhythmic Montage: A scene edited to the rhythm of on-screen action.
- Tonal Montage: A scene edited to create a feeling.
- Overtonal Montage: How whole sequences play off each other.
- Intellectual Montage: A scene edited to emphasize an abstract idea.
Again & again these montage sequences build up in a film, like a series of controlled explosions in an internal combustion engine, driving the film forward.