Here's what I would tell a my 17 year old rebel filmmaker self, if I could go back in time:
- Embed yourself in a local filmmaking collective.
Or create one.
- Think of yourself as a business person AND an artist.
- Design movies other people would love to watch.
Then include yourself.
- Distribute everything you've ever made
over & over again.
- Always be celebrity.
- Network everywhere & with everyone.
- Make movies that can be enjoyed TODAY
(not in the future).
- Spend the majority of your time making art;
the minority of time in research.
- Make & market one feature film a year.
- Be obsessed with your current movie.
- Focus on the style of your movie, and not the content, until you're 30.
- Create a poster for every one of your films.
Proudly hang & collect them.
- Read a screenplay every month.
There it is, folks.
The occult secrets to independent filmmaking.