Top 10 Favorite Gerard Manley Hopkins Phrases
Actually, this isn't a genuine TOP ten list.
I just figured that's the kind of bullshit people click on.
Here's a list of 10 beautiful Hopkins phrases chosen frantically before I run out the door:
1. Over again I feel thy finger and find thee.
2. His mystery must be instressed, stressed; for I greet him the days I meet him, and bless when I understand.
3. Christ's lily and beast of the waste wood
4. With belled fire and the moth-soft Milky Way,
5. Let him easter in us
6. The world is charged with the grandeur of God. It will flame out, like shining from shook foil; it gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil crushed.
7. And what is Earth's eye, tongue, or heart else, where else, but in dear and dogged man?
8. Be thou then, O thou dear mother, my atmosphere;
9. Yet God (that hews mountain and continent, Earth, all, out; who, with trickling increment, veins violets and tall trees makes more and more)
10. To the nest's nook I balance and buoy with a sweet joy of a sweet joy, sweet, of a sweet, of a sweet joy of a sweet - a sweet - sweet - joy.