How to Edit a TV Show In One Day
1. Bunker in.
2. Break down the total duration into small hourly chunks. Stick to this no matter what.
3. What you want is an on-time messy rough cut, not late perfection. Be messy.
4. Edit for effect & coherence, and nothing else.
5. Sex & Comedy (with a dash of Shock) always sells. Err on its side.
6. Scrub through the interviews first. Illustrate with B-Roll. Fill in the gaps with Misc footage.
7. Take regular breaks so you don't burn out. Take only good drugs. Eat healthy. Rest.
8. Edit to duration-locked music, to take advantage of its inherent structural variance. (Meaning a 30 second bit should be scored by a 30 second song, etc).
9. Put on good music and work fast. Do nothing else. Zoom in on the work and just go.
10. Eliminate the fear of missing out. Go through the footage up until the effect and duration is achieved. Don't worry if secretly there's better footage hiding somewhere. The audience doesn't care. They only care that you gave them the gift of the effect & the duration of entertainment.